Are you looking for a tuna casserole with penne or a tuna casserole recipe with penne pasta? What would you say about an alternative? A Pasta with tuna sauce Italian style made! This tuna pasta with tomato and basil recipe is by far one of our favorite tuna recipes! It all started with a dinner with salmon in tomato sauce and penne in Rome. Since with salmon, this recipe was delicious, I decided to look up if Italians have this recipe with tuna as well?
That’s how I found a recipe for tuna pasta with tomato and basil, which I later on reformed, adjusting the ingredients to a better taste. I’m sure if you love Italian and you like penne pasta with tuna and tomato sauce, this recipe will please you! Let’s see some details about this great tuna pasta recipe that will be followed by the recipe itself. So what to make with tuna and pasta? Try the pasta with tuna in tomato sauce recipe!
Penne pasta with tuna and tomato sauce – Tuna pasta with tomato and basil
One of the best things about this penne pasta with tuna and tomato sauce is that it’s super easy to make, and it takes 10, a maximum of 15 minutes to have it done. A quick and healthy dinner idea, that will make you feel as if you’ve been in Italy! The tuna pasta with tomato and basil can be made in different ways.
You can make it without any garlic, though I think that’s a really bad idea. But you can definitely do with or without onion, that won’t change the overall perfect taste. Since you should be using canned tuna for this recipe, you literally can have the sauce ready by the time the pasta is cooked. If you’ve ever wondered why Italians are so skinny, I’ll tell you the secret!
It might seem like fancy Italian food, but the penne pasta with tuna and tomato sauce is a really light dish, just as most Italian dishes are. If you exaggerate, obviously you can get fat from Italian food too, but if you keep the right amount of kcal your body needs, with Italian food you will feel full quickly, and it’s healthy!
So what to make with tuna and pasta? Tuna pasta with tomato and basil is a great option! If you’re asking what sauce goes with tuna pasta, I’ll say tomato! And, if you’re asking what herbs go with tuna pasta? My answer is garlic, basil, and pepper!
So as I have mentioned, tuna casserole with penne, or the tuna casserole recipe with penne pasta – as some may call it – is great, but the penne pasta with tuna and tomato sauce is even better! If you wish to find similar Italian and other international recipes all in one place, make sure to check out the Wandering Cookbook!
Let’s see now our recipe for pasta with tuna sauce – Italian style
Penne with Tuna in Tomato Sauce
- 250 g Spaghetti / Penne
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 200 ml Tomato Puree
- 100 g canned Tuna
- 2 clove Garlic
- 5-6 Basil leaves – fresh
- 1 Onion OPTIONAL
- Salt, Pepper
- Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1/5 tsp Lemon Juice
- How to make tuna pasta with tomato and basil? I'm not a fan of fish dishes, but this one I love! The onion is optional, as it is amazing with or without. I personally love more without the onions.
- Take a smaller pot, add the olive oil, and heat it up. Add the finely chopped onion and cook until translucent.
- When that's done, add the minced garlic and the tomato puree and mix it together with salt and pepper. When it starts boiling, add the tuna chunks and the chopped fresh basil.
- Leave it to cook on low heat for about 6-8 minutes. You might need to add 40-60ml of water as well, to have enough sauce!
- While cooking the sauce, put water to boil, add some salt and cook the pasta. When your drain the pasta, mix it into the sauce before serving it! This way the pasta will soak up the tuna sauce and it will be more delicious!
- At serving, sprinkle with parmesan! This dish can be made with fresh salmon, or canned salmon as well. A great alternative to a tuna casserole recipe with penne pasta.